Today is National Hug Your Dog Day! Below are five reasons why embracing your pooch is beneficial to both you and your canine companion. The list from Dog Joy Books was compiled from responses given on questionnaires sent out to contributing authors of Caroline Capuzzi’s book Dog Joy: Amazing Stories of the Indescribable Love Only a Rescued Dog Can Give.
- Hugging your dog produces oxytocin, in both you and your pet. Oxytocin is a hormone associated with love, attachment and trust, and helps to ensure a greater bond between pets and their owners.
- Hugging your dog fosters a greater sense of unconditional love and connection between you and your pet.
- Hugging your dog calms and relieves stress, regardless of how bad your day might have been.
- Hugging your dog lets them know that they are appreciated, and that their loyalty and friendship is cherished.
- Hugging your dog is the single best way to show your affection. A dog’s life is very short, so it is important to cherish each moment. It may have only been a few days between hugs for you, but from your dog’s perspective, it’s been ages.
So whenever you get home today, be sure to give your pup some extra affection—they deserve it!