Numerous considerations go into selecting a location for a vacation. Depending on who is taking the trip — a family, a couple or a solo traveler — the factors of what will make for a great vacation will vary considerably. This is especially true for those of you looking to take a trip with your furry friends. A lack of pet-friendly accommodations and restaurants can really make or break a vacation.
That’s why Upgraded Points, a travel company that provides insider strategies on maximizing travel points and rewards, evaluated 50 of the most popular vacation spots in the U.S. on their pet-friendliness to help guide you in your search for the perfect pet-friendly getaway.
To determine the most pet-friendly vacation spots, Upgraded Points compared 50 of the most popular vacation spots in the U.S. across eight key criteria. Each of the eight factors was graded on a five-point scale, with a score of five representing the most favorable conditions for you and pets. Each city’s total score was calculated from the total of its individual factor scores, which were weighted according to their importance to a pet-friendly vacation. The sum of these weights is 10, for a total possible score of 50. Each is listed below with its weight:
- Dog Parks per 100K People — Weight: 0.75
- Pet Stores per 100K People — Weight: 0.50
- Pet-Friendly Hotels per 100K People — Weight: 2.50
- Pet-Friendly Vacation Rentals per 100K People — Weight: 2.50
- Pet-Friendly Restaurants per 100K People — Weight: 2.00
- Veterinarians per 100K People — Weight: 0.75
- Hiking Trails per 100K People — Weight: 0.50
- Miles of Hiking Trail — Weight: 0.50
Rounding out the top 15 most pet-friendly vacation spots were:
- Asheville, North Carolina, with a score of 47.5
- Santa Fe, New Mexico, with a score of 42.2
- Orlando, Florida, with a score of 39.9
- Savannah, Georgia, with a score of 39.3
- Key West, Florida, with a score of 39.0
- Newport, Rhode Island, with a score of 38.9
- Scottsdale, Arizona, with a score of 38.5
- Charleston, South Carolina, with a score of 37.5
- Portland, Maine, with a score of 37.2
- Greenville, South Carolina, with a score of 34.9
- New Orleans, Louisiana, with a score of 29.9
- Salt Lake City, Utah, with a score of 27.5
- Austin, Texas, with a score of 26.1
- Portland, Oregon, with a score of 26.0
- Boise, Idaho, with a score of 25.3
Asheville received top scores for six out of the eight factors, including the two factors carrying the most weight in the rankings — the number of pet-friendly hotels and vacation rentals relative to the population. Asheville’s large number of pet-friendly accommodations provide plenty of places for you to stay and hang out with your furry pals. The city’s abundance of hiking trails is a great activity to unwind and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
The No. 2 city, Santa Fe, also received top marks for its pet-friendly accommodations and had the second-highest number of both pet-friendly hotels and vacation rentals relative to the population of any city. The No. 5 city, Key West, is home to both the highest number of pet-friendly hotels and vacation rentals per 100K people, so if you’re looking for plenty of options for lodging, Key West may be the answer for you and your pet. And if dog parks are a must for you and your pet’s vacation, you should take a closer look at visiting Charleston, which has the highest number of dog parks per 100K people.
So, if you are looking for your next pet-friendly destination, you might want to book a trip to one of these top-ranking destinations based on their accommodations for your pets. Check out the full report by Upgraded Points here.